President Trump’s FY2018 Budget Continues Call for Elimination of Federal Cultural Agencies
Legislative Update | Federal Support for the Arts and Art Education
May 23, 2017
President Trump’s detailed budget for FY2018 was released on May 23, and this proposed budget shows an elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), among other federal agencies and programs. The proposed funds for these agencies in the budget are “to allow them to phase out” over the next year:
National Endowment for the Arts: Grants and Administration: For necessary expenses to carry out the closure of the National Endowment for the Arts. $29 million to remain available until expended.
National Endowment for the Humanities: Grants and Administration: For expenses necessary to carry out the closure of the National Endowment for the Humanities, including for administration of awards made prior to September 30, 2017…pursuant to the matching grants program $42 to remain available until September 30, 2022.
This is just one step in the budget process through October of this year. This is the first update, based on “quick” analysis by national organizations collaborating on “next steps,” including NAEA. As for ESSA, the deadline for states to file their ESSA plans is September. As indicated in the chart above, the President’s proposal recommends elimination of the arts education competitive grant programs within the U.S. Department of Education, including the existing Arts in Education Model Arts Development and Dissemination Grant Program and the “Well-Rounded Education” new competitive grants in Title IV of ESSA. More details will be forthcoming. It is important to note that Congress will be determining what is actually in the FY2018 budget.
Here are a few things you can do to help:
- You can use Voter Voice to send a customizable message to your member of Congress.
- Share the VoterVoice e-alert with stakeholders and be sure to post on social media. Sample tweet and FB post is below:
- Tweet: Proposed Trump #SkinnyBudget eliminates [@NEAarts]@NEAarts funding. Tell your representative we need to #SAVEtheNEA.
- Facebook post: The National Endowment for the Arts is popular among members of Congress on both sides of the aisle. Yet President Trump’s proposed budget calls for a total elimination of funding for the NEA. Now it’s up to Congress to decide—and up to us to remind Congress of the value of the arts. Contact your elected representatives and ask them to #SAVEtheNEA.
- NAEA website has posted the Issues Briefs on ESSA, Arts in Education Funding, and many more within the advocacy area of our website.
- Americans for the Arts created an update on the NEA in the Arts Mobilization Center and a Statement for the press.
- Americans for the Arts advertising campaign has been placing full-page ads in The Hill, Roll Call, and Politico. See the advertisements, and use them in your work by going to www.artsusa.org.