NAEA Advisory, an exclusive NAEA member benefit, translates research and theory into practice for the K-12 visual arts educator.
K-12 teachers are encouraged to submit papers. Topics might include strategies for instruction and student learning; strategies for classroom organization and behavior management; assessment procedures related to art learning; incorporation of the National Visual Arts Standards into existing state and local curricula; alternative methods for teaching using technology; art instruction and higher-order thinking; issues related to teacher preparation; the incorporation of multiple-intelligences theories; conducting research in the art classroom; instructional practices in other cultures; and, art instruction in community contexts.
Submissions should be no longer than 3-5 pages double-spaced including references (750-1,500 words). Follow APA style. Refer to recent NAEA Advisory copies for the sense of organization and style or write the editor for further details.
Submit a digital Word file to email@example.com.
Access to Advisory articles is exclusively for NAEA Members.
New Advisory Articles - Spring 2018
- Approaches to Teaching Critical Visual Literacy
- Digital Learning Tools for Art Teachers
- Teaching Art Within Funding Limitations
- Theorems in Visual Art: Art and Math Teacher Collaboration toward Creative Leadership
Past Advisory Articles:
- 3-D Printing Technology in the Art Classroom
- After-School Art Sessions for At-Risk Youth
- Art Teachers Need Content-Specific Professional Development
- Art Up-Close: Maximizing the Museum Field Trip
- Classroom Intervention on Teaching Students with Special Needs
- Contemporary Art and Early Childhood
- Cooperative Learning in Elementary Art Classrooms and Preservice Teaching Programs
- Engaging High School Youth Through Art and Technology
- Getting Hired, Part 1: Tips for Preparing an Application Packet
- Getting Hired, Part 2: Tips for Interviewing
- High Stakes Arts Integration: Issues in Teacher Preparation
- Improving At-Risk Students’ Graduation Rate Through Visual Arts Education
- Managing the Classroom: Effective Classroom Organization
- Moving Past Bumper Stickers: Writing a Teaching Philosophy
- Preparing Preservice Art Teachers to Work With Students With Special Needs
- Success in the Alternative Visual Arts Classroom
- Tips for Helping Students Cultivate a Relationship With the Land
- Using Technology to Develop Your Digital Teaching Portfolio: A Guide for Art Educators
- You Can’t Say, “That’s Gay!” Accepting Learning Environments for LGBTQ Students
View archive issues of NAEA Advisory from the years 1987-2003 here.
- Translations - Creativity and the Murky Mind: Mental Mechanics of the Creative Process
- Translations - Doing Action Research in the Art Classroom
- Translations - Empathetic Engagement with Artwork: New Insights from Neuroscience
- Translations - Inquiry-Based Art Instruction: A Framework for Developing Creative & Critical Thinking