National Visual Arts Standards
The National Visual Arts Standards are part of the National Core Arts Standards, which were launched in 2014.
Why State and National Educational Standards?
Throughout the United States, each State Department of Education creates policy and sets education standards to provide guidelines and expectations for what students should know and be able to do throughout k-12 schooling in their state. While public schools are required to meet local and state standards, national standards are voluntary and used by some states to inform the development of their own state standards; other states adopt the national standards as their state standards. To know if your state has standards for visual arts, go to ArtScan.
What do you mean by Visual Arts?
Visual Arts, as defined by the National Art Education Association, include the traditional fine arts such as drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, and sculpture; media arts including film, graphic communications, animation, and emerging technologies; architectural, environmental, and industrial arts such as urban, interior, product, and landscape design; folk arts; and works of art such as ceramics, fibers, jewelry, works in wood, paper, and other materials.
Are there National Standards for Visual Arts?
Yes. There are voluntary national standards for visual arts, dance, music, theater and media arts. First developed in 1994, a new generation of standards was released in 2014. NAEA believes that all students deserve access to art education taught by art educators who are accountable to students, families and stakeholders in their community. View NAEA’s Vision Statement
The national visual arts standards were created by visual arts educators working with colleagues across the field of arts education to create standards for each arts education discipline. The national media arts standards were created by arts educators from across the field of arts education with representation from visual arts, dance, music and theater. The standards are written to be instructional, assessable and aspirational. Learn more about the history and process for developing the National Arts Education Standards.
Launch of the National Core Arts Standards
View the October 2014 webcast of the public launch of the National Core Arts Standards.
Does NAEA Provide Professional Development for Art Educators About the National Visual Arts Standards?
Yes. NAEA provides virtual and face-to-face training through a variety of opportunities. If you are interested in NAEA bringing training to your state or district, contact Dennis Inhulsen, NAEA Chief Learning Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn the Standards for the Visual Arts
Please review the following NAEA publications:
- Purposes, Principles and Standards for School Art Programs - Table of Contents| Purchase here
- Standards for Art Teacher Preparation - Executive Summary | Purchase here
- Professional Standards for Visual Arts Educators - Executive Summary | Purchase here
- Design Standards for School Art Facilities - Table of Contents | Purchase here
- National Visual Arts Standards (1994 Version)
View/Download the National Visual Arts and Media Arts Standards
- Go to http://nationalartsstandards.org
- Scroll to bottom of homepage, click on far left button
- Drop down to Visual Arts or Media Arts
- Download the PDF
- “Save as” to your computer
- Print on ledger size paper Customize your own handbook! Scroll to bottom of homepage, click on far right button.
- Standards Studio for Fresh Ideas: Standards in Action! Planning Sheets - High School
- Standards Studio for Fresh Ideas: Standards in Action! Planning Sheets - Lower Elementary
- Standards Studio for Fresh Ideas: Standards in Action! Planning Sheets - Middle Level
- Standards Studio for Fresh Ideas: Standards in Action! Planning Sheets - Upper Elementary
- NVAS Copyright Application
- NVAS Copyright Guidelines
- National Visual Art Standards Custom Handbook
- NVAS Inclusion strategies for using the National Arts Standards and the Model Cornerstone Assessments with Students with Special Needs
- National Media Arts Standards Poster
- National Visual Arts Standards Poster
- National Visual Arts Standards At-A-Glance
- Professional Standards for Visual Arts Educators [e-Book] (No. 306)
- Standards for Art Teacher Preparation (No. 412)