NAEA ED&I Commission: Call for Associate Chair
Deadline: May 30, 2020
May 1, 2020
In keeping with the 2015–2020 NAEA Strategic Vision, efforts are underway to address the recommendations presented by the Task Force on Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion. As part of the advancement of the NAEA ED&I Commission, the position of Associate Chair will be appointed in June 2020. Qualifying NAEA members are encouraged to apply to serve in this volunteer national leadership role.
The ED&I Associate Chair and Commissioners must demonstrate a commitment to social justice work as it supports NAEA’s current mission and vision. Other qualifications and duties are as follows:
Duties of the Associate Chair of the ED&I Commission
- Support the Chair and Past Chair of the ED&I Commission and help facilitate the work of the Commissioners;
- Serve on the ED&I Commission Nominations Committee;
- Review the literature within the art education field, and more broadly of any research from outside the field, that impacts teaching and learning especially as it pertains to greater equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility;
- Succeed to the office of Chair of the ED&I Commission upon successful completion of the term of office of the Associate Chair of the ED&I Commission; and
- Serve as Past Chair after the successful completion of the term of office as Chair.
Term of Office (5-year commitment)
June 2020 – March 2021: Associate Chair* April 2021 – March 2023: Chair April 2023 – March 2025: Past Chair
Qualifications for the Associate Chair of the ED&I Commission
The Associate Chair of the ED&I Commission should have:
- Established record of Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion work, research, grants, and/or research publications;
- Broad knowledge of current research/writing about ED&I research;
- Demonstrated successful organizational, administrative, and leadership capacities; Demonstrated successful leadership within NAEA or a comparable organization or institution at the state and national levels;
- Demonstrated “visionary” capacity through evidence of a proactive stance in the field and a record of initiating impactful projects;
- Ability to serve for 5 years (1 as Associate Chair of the ED&I Commission,* 2 as Chair of the ED&I Commission, and 2 as Past Chair of the ED&I Commission);
- Must be able to attend and participate in the in-person summer planning meeting each year (required in-person expenses are covered by NAEA); and
- NAEA membership and be in good standing.
*After this inaugural period, the term of service for the next Associate Chair will be 2 years, followed by 2 years as Chair and 2 years as Past Chair (6 years).
All applications must be submitted online and received by 11:59pm EDT, May 30, 2020. Decision will be made by June 30, 2020.
Please contact James Haywood Rolling, Jr., NAEA ED&I Commission Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the ED&I Commission.