SummerStudio: Design Thinking - Building A Community of Learners and Leaders, July 16-20, 2018 | Laguna Beach, CA
Get a jump start on building your community of learners and leaders for designing a better world. Come as a team!
March 19, 2018
SummerStudio: Design Thinking | Building a Community of Learners and Leaders will explore the visionary role of Human-Centered Design in guiding participants in the creative problem-solving process of Design Thinking—an inventive process through which problems are identified, solutions proposed and produced, and the results evaluated.
SummerStudio 2018 is hosted by Laguna College of Art + Design (LCAD), a dually accredited, state-of-the-art, visual arts college founded in 1961. Located in the world-renowned creative community of Laguna Beach, CA, LCAD is situated on the Orange County coast, conveniently equidistant from Los Angeles and San Diego. Named by Nike as one of the world’s top three colleges of art and design, LCAD offers undergraduate degrees in Animation, Drawing + Painting, Game Art, Graphic Design + Digital Media, Illustration, and Illustration in Entertainment Design, as well as graduate degrees in Art of Game Design, Drawing, and Painting.
SummerStudio: Design Thinking | Building a Community of Learners and Leaders
- Prepare art educators and decision makers across disciplines to be innovative, socially conscious change agents in education using Design Thinking.
- Explore the pillars and benefits of imaginative design thinking and the design process to promote the engagement, motivation, resilience, grit, and confidence needed to design a better world.
- Foster design, technology, and arts integration to meet the National Visual Arts Standards and standards in multiple content areas in order to promote 21st Century Skills and school-to-college and career readiness.
- Encourage application of art and design thinking in teaching and learning across the curriculum, including science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM).
- Engage the inspirational leadership and vision of renowned professionals and innovative leaders in art, design, architecture, STEM, and game design, such as Gensler, IDEO, Triseum, Crayola, AICAD, LCAD, and others.
- Cultivate and nurture a scalable national Community of Learners and Leaders in Design Thinking by sharing and replicating exemplary practices, resources, research, and professional learning in order to mentor other leaders.
Laguna College of Art + Design; Gensler, an integrated architecture, design, planning, and consulting firm with 5000+ professionals networked across 46 offices; Crayola, providing educators with resources and professional development to increase creative capacity school wide; LIVE Lab, Visualization Department, Texas A&M University; Triseum, educational learning games; The University of the Arts; and Association of Independent Colleges of Art & Design (AICAD).
NAEA members: $595/$649* | Non-members: $649/$695*
Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be issued after May 22, 2018.
Five $500 scholarships and ten $250 scholarships are available. Download an application. Scholarships applications due by May 4, 2018.
Registration cost includes:
- Lunches, breakfasts, snacks, and beverages (kitchens are also available in LCAD housing)
- All studio materials, design thinking resources, educator packets, tote bag, museum & gallery discounts, and more
- Inspirational field trips and tours
- Special events hosted by supporting sponsors including:
- Opening Session Dinner and Reception at Laguna College of Art + Design (July 16)
- Local event options include:
- Sawdust Art and Craft Festival
- Art-A-Fair Art Festival
- Festival of Arts Fine Art Show
- Laguna Art Museum discounted pass (TBD)
- Pageant of the Masters (must repurchase and reservations required)
Affordable lodging is available in the LCAD dorms (with kitchens) and at the Tides Hotel in Laguna Beach
- Reservations for the Tides Hotel can be made at www.TidesLaguna.com
- Reservations for LCAD dorms can be made online here or by contacting Kerri Redeker (see contact information below)
Service provided by LCAD
Kathy Duse, Executive Services and Convention and Programs Manager, NAEA
703-889-1281 | email@example.com
Jan Norman, Founding Director, NAEA SummerStudio: Design Thinking
(610) 608-9200 | firstname.lastname@example.org
University Housing and Laguna Beach Information:
Kerri Redeker, Executive Assistant to Academic Affairs, LCAD
949-376-6000, ext. 240
*Discounted rate for registration before 5/21/18.