Join the largest creative community established exclusively for visual arts educators, university professors, researchers and scholars, teaching artists, administrators, and art museum educators.Join NAEA Renew Membership
ListServ Sign Up
Collaborate. Learn. Engage in thoughtful dialogue.Go
Advocacy Resources - NETWORK
Activate an Advocacy NETWORK.
⇒Identify and build an advocacy network. Action requires committed people. Include media, legislators, education decision makers and parents.
⇒Work with your state/regional NAEA organization to partner with your state Alliance for Arts Education affiliate and your state’s arts advocacy citizens group.
⇒Communicate your MESSAGE to your network.
⇒Leverage your network to impact policy and budget.
⇒Keep your network engaged by being VISIBLE.
⇒Activate your network in times of crisis.
• Americans for the Arts – Arts Action Center (with links to finding local, state and federal legislator contacts and media contacts)
• Keep Arts in Schools – An online community for arts education advocates
• Dewey21C Arts Journal Blog - Written by New York City Center for Arts Education Executive Director Richard Kessler – Astute commentary on developing issues in the field
• Facebook – A social networking site where groups can be created to stay in touch and communicate key issues and events.
Example Facebook groups:
⇒Art Education Association of Indiana
⇒Save Arts Education - Miami based group
⇒Oak Ridge Booster Club from Oregon
Advocacy "Basics" Resources
• American Alliance of Museums Advocacy Information
• Americans for the Arts – Arts Action Center (with links to finding local, state and federal legislator and media contacts)
• Arts Education Partnership – The source for research compendia and policy information on the national and state level
• Keep Arts in Public Schools – An online community for arts education advocates
• Kennedy Center Advocacy Toolkit – A good basic “how to” for effective advocacy
• National Association for Music Education (NAfME) (formerly MENC) – Advocacy and Public Policy Resources
• National Assembly of State Arts Agencies Arts Education