Join the largest creative community established exclusively for visual arts educators, university professors, researchers and scholars, teaching artists, administrators, and art museum educators.Join NAEA Renew Membership
ListServ Sign Up
Collaborate. Learn. Engage in thoughtful dialogue.Go
Professional Code for Art Educators
The Professional Code for Art Educators established standards for the members of the National Art Education Association. The Code will serve as a guide in promoting the goals of the NAEA. These goals aim to ensure that comprehensive art programs are or will become, a basic component in the total school enterprise. The Code, together with the goals, will foster the highest degree of quality instruction in the visual arts for all.
The very nature of art and art education require special standards that are in addition to the high professional standards that guide all educators.
Art deals with the most sensitive of human striving. Art is personal. Art is universal. It is a means of communicating and expressing our perceptions in graphic form. It must be available to all students, in all its aspects. The special sensitivities it engenders must be respected and nurtured. In this context, honesty and integrity take on a greater meaning.
Therefore, those responsible for this area of education require special preparation. Once certified as art teachers, they must continue to grow in knowledge and commitment, both as artists and as educators. The dynamic essence of art requires that they not only continue their formal studies, but that they actively participate in professional activities
While pursuing excellence in art education, members of the NAEA confirm their continuing commitment to the highest ethical and moral values. With this in mind, members from all regions of the nation and all levels of education, combined their efforts to create the following Professional Code.
A PROFESSIONAL ART EDUCATOR . . .
1. Demonstrates honesty and integrity in all profession endeavors.
2. Promotes art as a basic discipline in the education of all students.
3. Advocates art instruction by certified art educators.
4. Fosters art instruction that includes the study of aesthetics, art criticism, art history, and art production.
5. Respects individual artistic expressions and encourages feelings of self-worth and self-confidence.
6. Safeguards against exploitation of art programs and students.
7. Makes every effort to provide a safe, hazard-free learning environment.
8. Demonstrates effort and commitment to the profession.
9. Continues personal and professional development.
10. Seeks ways to advance the profession of art education through membership and participation in local, state and professional associations.
11. Contributes actively to the support, planning and programs of the professional organizations.
12. Distinguishes between personal and organizational views when representing the art education profession.
The Professional Code for Art Educators was created by the Professional Standards Committee of the Delegates Assembly and approved by the Board of Directors in the Fall of 1986.
Interested in a specific issue? Serve on an NAEA Committee?
Stay connected to your NAEA state affiliate.
Inspire and recognize your students who have shown outstanding ability in art.
Stay abreast of the latest news, developments, and conversations related to the visual arts education field.
National Art Education Association (NAEA)
1806 Robert Fulton Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191
International Dialing Prefix: 011
National Dialing Prefix: 1